Risk vs Regret: Two Sides of the Same Coin
Risk vs Regret…at some point in your life, you’ll face one or the other. If you run from risk today, you’re almost certain to face regret later. The only way to escape this is to deny your own ambitions when you finally realize that you didn’t have the courage to pursue them. And the most valuable risk you can take is to risk criticism and/or disapproval from other people, even the people you love. The saddest and most common deathbed regret is…
“I wish I’d had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.”
Why would you live the life others expected of you instead of living a life true to yourself, and to God’s plan for your life? Because of fear of criticism, fear of disapproval or (more often) the need for approval or validation from others. Financial risks are easier to take than this. Hell, many people are just as afraid of social disapproval or rejection as they are of threats to their physical survival.
If you think this sounds unbelievable, look at the top 10 phobias. You’ll find “Social Phobia” in this list. So, it shouldn’t surprise anyone that one of the top death bed regrets is the direct result of a fear of Social Disapproval. What many people never think of is that the fear of disapproval is the result of an unhealthy need for approval from others. Sure, it’s important to build relationships with other people and that means taking other people’s perspectives and desires into account.
But, your natural need for love and acceptance from others should not lead you to the destruction of your personal ambitions. It shouldn’t interfere with your right to live your own life and to serve the higher purpose which your Creator put you here to fulfill. Always remember that the choice of risk vs regret isn’t one you can run from for long. You’ll either face risk today, or you’ll live with regret forever.
Goals and Progress
- June Income: $1061 (Goal $4,000)
- LinkedIn Connections: 12,975 (Connect with me on LinkedIn).
- YouTube Subscribers: 253 (Subscribe to my YouTube channel).
- Twitter Followers: 153 (Follow me on Twitter).
- Vegan Diet: Day 117.
- Strength Training: Day 71.
- Body Weight: 235lbs (Goal 185).
- Memorized: Torah, Genesis, Chapters 1-2.
- Memorized: The Kybalion, Chapters 1-2.
- Memorized: The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Books 1-2.
- Memorized: The Tao Te Ching, Books 1-2.
- Memorized: The Dhammapada, Book One.
- Memorized: The Bhagavad-Gita, Book One.
- Memorized: The Isha Upanishad.
- Memorized: The Science of Getting Rich, Chapter One.