How to Deal with Chaos at Work
Knowing how to deal with chaos at work is just as important as knowing how to deal with failure, or with success. Chaos seems sudden. But, it’s almost always the result of dozens (or hundreds) of small choices you’ve made (or neglected to make) over a period of time. Most of us never consciously consider choices until the consequences of those choices show up. Many times, this is how chaos comes into our work-life AND our personal life.
That said, the best way to deal with chaos at work is to be PROACTIVE about preventing it. I know this isn’t the instant gratification answer most people are looking for. But, if you’re looking for instant gratification, I’m not your coach anyway. So, what are some of the choices that lead up to business chaos? The first one is practicing Boundaries in Business. Since I’ve talked about this in another podcast, we’ll leave it at that.
Another way is what I call “Energy Management,” and the other way is to understand The Principle of Rhythm and to master your own mood swings, as well as your productivity patterns. Again, I realize this doesn’t help you to solve the problem of chaos when you’re in the middle of it. But, there’s a quote that says…
“The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining.”
If you’re unable, or unwilling, to proactively manage chaos, then I say chaos is what you deserve. Yes, that sounds mean. But if you stop and think about it, chaos is showing up to teach you a lesson. Look for the patterns in chaos when it shows up at work and in your personal life. Ask yourself what small decisions you could have made over the past three months, or six months, or even the past few years, to create this chaos.
If you’re honest with yourself and have the courage to face your own patterns of Self-Sabotage, the answers will show up. They’ll either come from your own mind, or from someone else, or from some odd serendipitous revelation. Most importantly, don’t assume you can use a short-term fix to solve a problem you created over a long period of time. Learn from the negative things that happen to you by gaining self-awareness, and then you’ll understand how to deal with chaos at work, and everywhere else.
Goals and Progress
- April Income: $4,018* (Goal $3,000)
- LinkedIn Connections: 12,617 (Connect with me on LinkedIn).
- YouTube Subscribers: 253 (Subscribe to my YouTube channel).
- Twitter Followers: 150 (Follow me on Twitter).
- Pure Vegan Diet: Day 73.
- Strength Training: Day 29.
- Body Weight: 236lbs (Goal 185).
- Memorized: Torah, Genesis, Chapters 1-2.
- Memorized: The Kybalion, Chapters 1-2.
- Memorized: The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, Books 1-2.
- Memorized: The Tao Te Ching, Books 1-2.
- Memorized: The Dhammapada, Book One.
- Memorized: The Bhagavad-Gita, Book One.
- Memorized: The Isha Upanishad.
- Memorized: The Science of Getting Rich, Chapter One.